Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Don't be too quick to look for exemption

trulia.com
Nowadays it is too difficult to have a virtue. We do not care anymore as long as we get what we want. What we have and achieved is the measure of who we are. It doesn't matter how we get it. Is it because the time is changing? How people back then have their virtues so strong because of lesser comfort, old school, not too techy (characterized by technological sophistication). Does virtue really matter?


A virtue is a positive trait or quality subjectively deemed to be morally excellent and thus is valued as a foundation of principle and good moral being (wikipedia). Here are some of the virtues I have looked up and I am sure there are a lot more out there that you may know. Honesty, Respectfulness, Generosity, Perseverance, Authenticity, Purity, Loyalty, Modesty, Justice, Patience.


I'll pick patience to focus on because I have been thinking about it recently to myself. I have noticed my patience is getting shorter. I have been experiencing at times of being impatient, in as simple as waiting for the red light to turn green. It use to not bug me at all. Losing temper easily for a short period of time and/or for small things. Whispering bad words here and there when things are not flowing the way I want it to be. Sometimes my definition of patience is not really patience. It is tolerating every minute of it with a heavy feeling, which in return cause a lot of irritation inside. Imagine that's just for small things, what more for the big things that I should be virtuous of.


"Familiarity brings complacency" says Rick Warren. What looks to be common to us can sometimes take us to settle that it's acceptable and can turn into a habit. If we see it on TV, movies, and around us, that people are impatient and curse at the same time. Well duh! you are the only one who is not doing it. If everyone is doing it, it must be alright. As a result, it becomes natural for us to rely upon our selfishness, that the whole world has to adjust to however we like it to be. Which could lead us more to disappointments. Because we have to accept how things end up to be.


What I've realized, is that the antidote to my impatience is humility. First of all, the plans I make have no guarantee that it is going to be the way I planned it to be. There are a lot of factors to consider for it not to happen. Besides what we usually get from not being virtuous is detrimental to our self, physically and spiritually. This is just my observation to myself, and that is only for one of the virtues that was stated. A good reminder to myself that it applies to all of the others as well. 

Catching myself like this, is important to me. It makes me realize something. That if I can catch myself in doing this, it is only logical to think that there is a possibility that people around me sees it and might not just saying anything about it. Not that I should be paranoid of what others think of me. I always thought of this as a good question to ask ourselves. Do you find yourself as someone who is too quick to look for exemption?


Dark Knight (R.F.)

No comments:

Post a Comment