Sunday, February 24, 2013

How should I handle my Growth?

 
In this time of Lent we are once again being reminded of how important our spiritual growth is. We are so busy chasing after material growth overly concerned about it. Not to impose anything or to create arguments with my religion. In Catholic tradition we begin the celebration by putting ash in a symbol of a cross on our foreheads remembering from ash we came to ash we will come back. We enter life the same thing we will exit it, with nothing. Of course there is also giving up something that you are so use to have for detaching from it in respect to lent.


We have a saying in the Philippines. " Kahit isaksak mo pa sa baga mo yan hindi mo rin madadala pag namatay ka na". English translation is; "Even if you stick it in your lungs you will not be able to bring it with you when you die". It's all illusion, you think you have your name on it but then the deal is you cannot take it with you when your time is up.

Everything that gives me compulsion is not of my spirit, but of my flesh. Lust and Greed are the most evident examples of "I have to get it now or else....". Ego driven and tiresome if you keep on chasing it because the thought of having it will complete us, is less likely achieved especially when we become addicted to it. 

Maybe our hunger can be resolved in being fluent in the language of faith instead of a thing. By seeking the peace and joy that comes from God. Praying is a powerful tool in achieving the unseen things that could deeply satisfy us. Although sometimes the content of my prayers I must admit are not expressed in a faith based statements. Still struggling and working on it. As I slowly understand to persevere in coming to pray more often.

Why do we need perseverance in prayer if we have faith? Isn't faith enough? I think we persevere not because God fails, fails to hear us or fails to grant our request. It is us that fails because we are weak. This is where perseverance comes in. We focus on God's solutions that are coming from an effective and secure ways. Compared to our solutions which is insecure that needs urgency and desperate. In God all things are possible, He does not fail because He is eternal, He is not intimidated with time. He is the past, present and the future.

It seems like the growth that gives lasting joy is spiritual not material. If we can maintain our direct connection with our creator even if we fall we can see it in a different perspective. Yes, earthly possessions can fill me but maybe only for a short time, then I move on to wanting more of the other stuff that are no longer making any sense. In connecting to my spirit there is clarity. We will all end up as a spirit anyway. Teilhard de Chardin have said "We are not human beings having spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience".

Removing myself from a narrow egoistic eyes, I can see that sometimes growth comes from praying and reduction.

Dark Knight R.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment